A desktop investigation is useful when parties to the investigation are dispersed over a wide geographical area, work in remote locations or are located interstate or overseas. This can eliminate the need for travel and prove to be a cost effective alternative to attending various locations.
During a desktop investigation our investigators generally correspond via email / telephone and conduct interviews with all parties to the investigation by telephone and / or video link. Voice recordings or accurate notes are completed during interviews with documents and supporting information being obtained where appropriate.
Throughout the course of an investigation the investigator will:
- Actively manage the investigation process;
- Obtain recorded interviews, or factual statements (if required) from all persons involved;
- Respond quickly upon the receipt of information;
- Seek corroboration via additional sources of evidence whenever possible;
- Seek expert, technical or scientific evidence when relevant;
- Maintain an open mind at all times;
- Recognise and manage any self-bias that they may have;
- Identify any systemic issues that become apparent; and
- Provide regular progress reports to the client.
At the conclusion of a desktop investigation we provide the client or nominated legal representative with an investigation package consisting of:
- A clear and concise factual investigation report that is supported by the evidence obtained;
- Copies of all interview audio recordings / interview notes;
- Interview summaries in the required format;
- Copies of all documentary / other evidence which has been cross referenced to the investigation report presented in an indexed and folioed format; and
- A copy if the investigation running sheet detailing every investigation activity.
A social media and online history investigation can prove valuable to any employer as a tool to establish information about potential new employees during the pre-employment process or to establish more recent information about current employees.
As part of this process our investigators will conduct searches across a number of social media channels to establish the location, activities and associations of the individual.
At the conclusion of a social media and online history investigation we provide the client or nominated legal representative with an investigation package consisting of:
- A clear and concise factual investigation report that is supported by the information obtained; and
- Copies of all information obtained or links to the relevant web sites.